PE & Sport Premium
“The greatest wealth is health.” – Virgil
Sports Premium Funding
Physical Education and Sport play a very important part in the life of Farnham Green Primary School and at least two hour sessions per week are dedicated to physical activity in the curriculum. This year we will be introducing 12 minutes of ‘Take 12’ taking place daily here at school to increase the amount of physical activity that young people engage in daily. We believe that physical activity and sport contribute to the holistic development of children and through participation in sport and physical education, children learn more about themselves and develop lifelong values such as teamwork, fair play and respect for themselves and others. There is significant evidence to show the positive effects of sport and exercise on children’s physical health, growth and development but also on their academic ability. Sport and activity also provide a healthy environment for children to learn how to deal with competition and how to cope with both winning and with losing.
We are championing healthy lunches in our lunch hall and children will participate in Healthy Eating Week. Specialist sport coaches work with whole classes as well as individual children to increase activity and healthy living. To enhance the understanding of a healthy lifestyle within the community, at Farnham Green we hold a parents session focussing on healthy eating and active lifestyles. Targeted clubs are also held by school staff to tackle obesity but also to just have fun after school.
Competition is an important part of life. Children are introduced to competition within different areas of the curriculum and also through day to day experiences at the school. All children have the opportunity Our sporting teams also play other schools in various matches throughout the year.
Swimming is an essential life skill. As a school, we have invested significantly in swimming - our PE curriculum ensures that all year 5 childrenl learn to swim at least 25 metres. Instructors are quality assured; they are of high quality and keep our children motivated and engaged.
Our aims for the Sports Premium Funding
The Government is currently making available to all schools a sum of money to allow them to continue to develop sports provision within school and to help schools increase pupil participation in sporting activity. This money equates to £17000 per school per year plus an additional £10 per child. For our school this means approximately £20,000 for the academic year 2019/20.
At Farnham Green, we are using the Sport Premium to improve the quality of PE and Sport provision in the following ways:
- To redevelop our outdoor area so that there is a wide range of activities designed to build core muscle strengthening for the children to participate in
- We aim to assist staff through the support of the specialist PE teacher. Staff throughout the school will be able to observe and gain a further understanding of high quality PE activities provided for the children.
- Providing cover staff to release teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Supporting external sports coaches to run competitions, and to increase pupils’ participation in school games competitions
- Quality assuring the work of our specialist PE teacher, Premier Sport coaches and instructors employed to coach PE lessons each day and after-school sports clubs
- Using the funding to support regular sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages
- Providing places for pupils in after-school sport clubs and holiday courses
- Supporting midday supervisors to introduce playground games at breaks and lunchtimes
- Establishing, sustainable partnerships with local community sports clubs
- Subsidising transport, pool hire and swimming instruction to ensure year 5 pupils have swimming lessons.
- Subsidising outdoor and adventurous activities on residential trip.
With the allocation of Sports Premium the children at Farnham Green can be offered more opportunities to participate in physical activity.