Purpose & Organisation
- UK and European cultural literacy in its widest form,
- the national curriculum for KS1 and KS2, and
- a reduction and ultimately eradication of stereotyping of the world within human geography.
Organisation of the curriculum
The geography curriculum is split into 5 strands; locational knowledge, place knowledge, physical geography, human geography and geographical skills and fieldwork. The regions of the world that we explore are as follows:
France - The Alps (European region),
Scotland (Region of the United Kingdom) and,
Brazil (Region within North or South America).
These are chosen based upon their merit of physical and human geography.
In geography, a new unit is introduced twice a year and this also includes dedicated time where the children retrieve and revise prior learning.
Lessons are taught discretely but where links to prior learning can be made they are made.
Core of the core
- An understanding of the world’s physical geography.
- An understanding of human geography and how this can affect the planet.
- An understanding of their local area compared to a region in the world.
- An understanding of the location of different areas of the UK as well as different locations around the world.
- An understanding of the physical and human geography of the 3 chosen regions of the world.